Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Walmart: a surprising example of Delighting the Customer




We all know Walmart has a bad reputation for quality and customer service. But last week I had a surprisingly good experience. In fact, it wasn't good, it was excellent.

I ordered some oatmeal and other groceries at Walmart.ca. The estimate delivery date was 1 week from the day of my order. They usually take about 4 days, so I was slightly dissatisfied by the longer estimate.

The morning after my purchase, I realised that I would run out of oatmeal before my purchase from Walmart arrived. I was a bit disappointed that I'd be without my oatmeal for a few breakfasts.

Of course I soon got over it and went about with my day.

A few hours later, the postman knocked on my door with the Walmart package. I could not believe it. The package had arrived at my home one day after I made the online purchase!!!

I was very pleasantly surprised. It felt as if Walmart had read my mind and made sure I had my supply of oatmeal.

I have rarely been that delighted as a customer. And the fact that it came from Walmart made it even more pleasantly surprising.


Was that a coincidence? Divine intervention? Or is Walmart really changing? I like to think it's a little bit of each.

Either way: great job, Walmart!

No comments:

Post a Comment